What is Deoxycholic Acid?
Deoxycholic acid is a bile salt naturally produced by your body to help absorb fat. It can be artificially made to mimic the naturally occurring substance. The synthetic form can be injected in a treatment area to target excess fat under the chin to improve the profile.
How does it work?
The synthetic form when injected can destroy fat cells by disrupting their cell membranes. This initiates a process where the destroyed fat cells enter the body’s waste system to be naturally flushed out. Deoxycholic acid is used to treat excess or stubborn fat beneath the chin, often referred to as a ‘double chin’. It can permanently destroy and remove fat from the treated area.
Deoxycholic acid treatments can be combined with other treatments and injectables to achieve optimal results.
The treatment is brief and involves a series of injections to treat the areas underneath the chin. We use various methods to reduce any discomfort that may be experienced during the treatment.
The number of treatments that you will require will depend on your specific goals and underlying anatomy. On average, 2 to 6 treatments are given, spaced 4 to 6 weeks apart. The injections start working right away, however, it will take your body time to remove the wastes after the fat cells are destroyed, so it will take many weeks to begin to appreciate the results and complete the process.
What are the risks?
Potential Side Effects and Complications:
We use a combination of methods to reduce any discomfort during your procedure, including a numbing cream applied on the skin to temporarily reduce the sensation. The area may feel numb for many hours.
Redness and swelling develop shortly after your procedure. The injections will be working below the surface of the skin to break down the fat cells, which starts an inflammatory response. This inflammatory response causes swelling. The swelling is expected and will last for several days to a week or more.
It is possible that bruising may be experienced in the treatment area, as with any injection. Any bruising that occurs can easily be hidden with makeup and typically resolves within a few days.
This treatment cannot tighten loose skin. If sagging or loose skin under the chin are troubling you, our team will be happy to recommend other treatments, such as, Morpheus® skin tightening.
What to expect after your Deoxycholic Acid
Please follow these instructions after each Deoxycholic Acid treatment:
- Swelling is expected and will last 3-7 days. You may ice the area intermittently for the first 24 hours for added comfort.
- Avoid taking aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, St. John’s Wort, or high-doses of Omega 3, Vitamin E, or Tumeric for 48 hours. These agents may increase bruising and or bleeding at the injection site. You may take Tylenol if needed.
- You may experience bruising, and/or redness at the injection site. This typically resolves within 2-3 days. You can use makeup to cover up any bruising, but wait at least 4 hours after your treatment to apply.
- No strenuous physical activity/workouts for 48 hours following your treatment.
- You may elevate your head to sleep by using a few extra pillows, this may help to decrease the swelling.
- Avoid salty foods, as they can increase swelling to the treatment area even more than expected.
- Avoid facial massages, facials, laser or light based therapy for 2 weeks.
- Until the redness and swelling have completely resolved, avoid exposure of the area to intense heat (sauna, hot tub, sunlamp, sunbathing), as this will also make for increased swelling.
- Remember to schedule your next treatment in 4-6 weeks. Deoxycholic acid treatments require 2-6 treatments for optimal results.